Monday 9 February 2009

Studio Gets The Bug



I was stuck for ideas for what I wanted to do for my birthday. But inspiration arrived in one of my client's emails, recommending me to go along to BUG – The Evolution of Music Video at the Norwich Playhouse.

It was the first time this event had been hosted outside its regular venue at the BFI Southbank in London, which I guess could be because its presenter Adam Buxton now lives up here. Bearded, very funny and prone to breaking into a Christian Bale type rant, Adam presented a night of the latest in music video innovation. I guess most of us are now more used to seeing this kind of film making on youtube, so it was cool to see it on the big screen.

My favourite was 'What's A Girl To Do' by Bat for Lashes and directed by Dougal Wilson. It reminded me of Twin Peaks - but with animal masks and BMX bikes. Plus, we had the additional treat of an interview with Dougal who told us about a rejected video proposal for Coldplay – involving chattering false teeth and Chris Martin getting his dentures mixed-up with Noel Gallagher's. Now that would have made a good promo.



The night finished off nicely with the Oscar nominated 'I Met The Walrus', directed by Josh Raskin. More a short film than a music video, the soundtrack features 14 year old Jerry Levitan in 1969 interviewing John Lennon, back when he was staying in bed for peace. It was a cool bit of animation but it's John's wisdom that shines. But I thought the Walrus was Paul? Enjoy.



www.bugvideos.co.uk

No comments: