Friday 5 September 2008

Studio at D&AD Xchange



I was out and about again this week, accompanying Andy Campbell (Course Leader of the FDa/BA Graphics Communication, NUCA) at the D&AD Xchange.

If like me, you were disappointed by the lack of Summer and your holiday wasn't long enough, then you probably need to re-charge your batteries by hearing from some creative minds. And Andy and I found plenty (twelve to be exact) at this exclusive two day event which featured leading speakers from varied areas of expertise such as, graphic design, branding, advertising, the inter-web and photography. And as the lights went down we heard details about their work, how they got there and how we can inspire our current art students.

I had my faves. I really enjoyed Alan Young, Creative Director of St.Lukes - laid back because he had recently broke his leg (stepping onto a skateboard!). We could have sat together round a log fire, cradling a fine whisky as he shared his wisdom - he wants to see work that makes him fearful. Work that possesses an emotional energy which challenges the 'old thinkers who are set in their ways'. God he was scary - Imagine presenting to the guy. But how I wished I had worked for him.

Andy was very moved by Janet Kestin, (Co-Chief Creative Officer of Oglivy Toronto) and her work on the Dove soap campaign. It stirred quite a debate with its campaign for real beauty and its challenge to our visual perceptions - is this model fat or fab? - tick the box. But the whole challenge is best summed up by the example below. This was indeed thought provoking work which didn't state the obvious about the product. Selling a point of view as well as the brand.



The typographer and letterpress legend Alan Kitching touched everyone with tales of his career (he was even too choked to speak when he remembered another friend who had passed on). Alan was more than old school. He had started back in the fifties, arranging metal letterpress type for layouts inspired by the 'new typography' of Jan Tschichold. At this point I wasn't making notes, I was sketching his poster layouts!

Today, Alan is famous for his letterpress - and the typo is stunning. This is where design becomes art. He brought along a few prints for us to get up close and feast our eyes upon. How I wish I could afford to buy the poster, 'Electricity Kills Darkness - candlelight illuminates it.'



Andy and I had a great time – especially watching the delightful Rosie Arnold (BBH) and her work of wit and joke telling as seen in campaigns for Lynx, Pretty Polly and my favourite below. As Rosie said, the best work explores truth, humour and our life experience. Think on.

No comments: